National convention

UPDATE: APC National Convention aspirant shot dead by terrorists in Abuja-Kaduna train attack

Muhammad Amin Mahmood, a contender for the just-concluded All Progressives Congress (APC) National Convention for the Northwest Zone youth leadership, was shot dead in Monday’s attack.
SaharaReporters learned that the politician was on the train and was among those shot dead during the train ride heading to Kaduna from Abuja.

However, at the time of this report, it was unclear how serious his injuries were or if he would survive.
SaharaReporters had reported that two cleaners and workers from the attacked Abuja-Kaduna train, identified as Loretta and Abdul, had been confirmed dead.
It has been learned that some security personnel and passengers have also been confirmed dead, but their names have not yet been released.
Many passengers were also injured or kidnapped, it was gathered.
“Meanwhile, two corpses have been deposited at St. Gerald Catholic Hospital in Kaduna while some people are being treated for gunshot wounds,” a source told SaharaReporters.
SaharaReporters earlier reported that the terrorists who attacked the Nigerian Railway Corporation train from Abuja to Kaduna on Monday night abducted some of the stranded passengers.
SaharaReporters had obtained testimonies from victims which confirmed that other people had been shot dead by the rampaging terrorists who operated for hours due to the absence of the Nigerian army and other security agencies.
“Some people died and the bandits kidnapped several people,” a woman on the train confirmed to SaharaReporters.
“The army was unable to secure the area but people are running towards them in a staging area,” another source added.
In a Facebook post, fellow passenger Anas Danmusa said, “Please, it’s an emergency. We’re inside the train right now. The kidnappers planted explosives and the locomotives of the train were destroyed. We are helpless. Train from Abuja to Kaduna; shots are still being fired around us. We are just under the seats praying to God waiting for help. Since 8 p.m. we have been here / between Katari and Rijana; I am a living witness.
He later added, “We are safe now.”

SaharaReporters earlier reported that the NRC could not yet reach its driver or engineers on board the ill-fated train, adding to the anxiety of already distressed passengers.
“Nigeria Railway Corporation management says they were unable to speak with the train engineers and driver. The train was going to Kaduna and was already 45 minutes from the Rigasa police station.
“Even though the Nigerian army says they have arrived and are securing the trains and passengers, management have still not been able to contact the crew. They do not know whether the army has secured it or not.
“They are ready to send another coach from Abuja. The railway tracks were bombed and the train derailed. The terrorists derailed the whole train,” one of the sources explained.
SaharaReporters also reported that the attack was still ongoing as of 9:42 p.m. PT, while security agencies had yet to be deployed to the scene.
One of the passengers who confirmed the incident in a phone call said the attackers surrounded the train and fired sporadically.
“All the passengers are currently lying on the floor of the train. Bandits are firing sporadically. We are in grave danger,” said one of the panicked passengers.
There are at least 970 passengers on board the train, according to official sources close to the train service.